Last year, in honor of Father’s Day, I did 30 Reasons I Love My Man.
But over this past year, I thought of a few more.
Here they are:
- When the kids were very small, he insisted on making each of their birthday cakes himself, from scratch. He made Rene a giant castle one year (with ice-cream-cone turrets) and — another year — made her a giant unicorn head (with twisted sugar chews as the horn). He’s also made race-car cakes and cakes with Elmo all over them for the boys. There’s nothing like seeing a grown man in your kitchen with frosting all over his hands and a frown over how he’s going to stack that third layer to give your 3-year-old the highest castle he can. …
- When he’s on vacation, he never shaves. The resulting dark stubble around his jaw has now come to look like pure relaxation to me — and is just rugged enough and just sexy enough to make me look forward to it every time.
- He plays the guitar in our bedroom from time to time to relax. He taught himself to play, but he’s been doing it for about 20 years now and can play a lot of songs. He also bought a ukelele about 2 years ago and is now teaching himself to play that, too. It sounds like the beach.
- He looks great in his Levis. (Oh, did I say that one already?) Okay. … He looks great in his Levis sitting on a Harley.
- He always rises to the occasion to be a dad. He’s always been involved with the kids’ sports — being in charge of sign-ups and picture days, too. But one year, he moved beyond the sports realm and took our daughter to get her dance pictures taken at the dance studio when I was ill. Although I wasn’t there to see it, the image I have in my mind of him standing there — making small talk with all the stage moms as they discuss hair and makeup — is priceless to me.
- He brings me bouquets of flowers from time to time for my writing room. But the thing I love best is that he always pulls one flower out of the bouquet and gives it to our daughter.
- He cuts his own hair.
- He grills a mean steak.
- He knows what basil is.
- When we got our new dining chairs, our kids fought over who got to sit next to him at the dinner table.
- He watches the Housewives series with me.
- He has good taste in television and has insisted that I watch all these shows with him: Mad Men, Entourage, Weeds, Hung, and Modern Family. Now we make them into marathons that we watch together.
- He taught our son how to drive this year. He also taught him how to order a corsage, make a date dinner, order a tux, and tie a tie. I think my son is in good hands.
- He still makes me laugh every day. (Oh, I said that one already, too?) That’s okay. It’s important.
- I still think he’s quite possibly the best father in the universe.
Happy Father’s Day, babe!