On Nate’s 12th birthday today, I thought I’d list 12 things I love about that kid:
1. He’s really funny. Always.
2. His eyes actually light up when he tells stories — they’re so expressive, and they tell half the story before his words jump in.
3. He’s in that sometimes-awkward-but-always-kind-of-cute “tween” stage of life, where he still goofs off and wrestles and plays with his buddies, but sometimes flashes of maturity take hold. The flashes of maturity always seem to surprise him.
4. He is a youngest child, but sometimes he gets to play “big brother” to a couple of neighborhood kids, and he’s awesome in the role — he always knows when to be silly, how to be fun, but also when to be gentle.
5. He’s super smart.
6. He makes a mean sunny-side-up egg. He stands on a step-stool to do this.
7. He’s still small enough that I can wrap my arms all the way around him in a big hug.
8. He loves animals and is always so sweet to them. He desperately wants to take care of dogs, but sometimes they scare him.
9. He still likes to hang out with his family.
10. The neighborhood — kids and adults alike — all love him. We always have people knocking on our door for him.
11. He does magic tricks, draws, plays drums like a natural, and plays Mumford and Sons’ “The Cave” on the ukelele. He loves to entertain anyone who will look at him.
12. He has a wonderful heart.
Happy Birthday, Nate! We love you!