Fall is my favorite time of year.
I actually suggested to Superman that we get married in the fall, because it’s always been my favorite. (He agreed.)
I love the way the air feels at that time: The air goes crisp. The light gets thin. The sun casts everything in a deep orange right before sunset, and a smoky fireplace scent starts filling the air.
Of course, all this can change on a dime here, and we’re suddenly in 90-degree weather again. And sometimes those smoky scents are coming from our annual wildfires, not fireplaces, which is always a scary thing.
But, overall, fall in Southern California is glorious. Nothing beats a day when the air is cool but the sun is shining like crazy.
Here are my 10 favorite things about fall.
- Pumpkin-flavored anything
- Fall-scented candles (pumpkin, apple spice, banana bread, clove, maple, etc.)
- Leaf decor: on candles, on centerpieces, on candlestick holders, on wreaths — I just love leaves.
- Candy corn
- Al Michaels’ voice announcing football from the living room
- Halloween and all that goes with it (kids’ costumes, neighborhood parties, pumpkin-carving)
- Weekend day-tripping to somewhere we can pick apples or pumpkins
- Thanksgiving and the relaxed feel that holiday has retained
- The fact that it’s always our anniversary around Thanksgiving, and going somewhere that always feels holiday-festive
- The Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade — I totally look forward to this every year, and the whole household knows that I finally get control of the television for these few hours per year.
Man, I could go on all day with this. … I think I could easily do 50, but I don’t want to bore everyone. And I’d love to hear yours — tap in below and tell me your favorite things about fall. Is it anyone else’s favorite season?