Three for Thursday: 3 Things About Ireland Posted on March 17, 2011 by Lauren Christopher Happy St. Patrick’s Day! In honor, our “3 for Thursday” today will be about Ireland: Whether you’ve been there, have seen a movie about it, have read a book about it, or have a relative from there, what are 3 things you like about the Emerald Isle?
1. I have Irish Blood. My greatgreatgrandfather was the son of an Irishman and a Mexican. Ruperto was adopted by his mother’s sister after his mother died in childbirth. He lived to be 103 years old. He was the grandfather of my grandmother who lived to be 105.
2. Guiness Beer, the greatest beer there is.
3. The San Patricios, (The Irish Brigade). Irish Catholics who came to the U.S. because of the potato famine and joined the U.S. Army to fight in the Mexican American War. They were treated badly because of their of their religion and they didn’t like the brutality of the Army against the Mexicans so they left and went to join the Mexican Army. In Mexico they are heroes. One movie made of this is “One Man’s Hero”.
I have never been there, but I think I can come up with three things I like…
1 – I like the happy, upbeat music! My husband has some music from a band, Dropkick Murphys – they are a good rock, irish sound.(not crazy about bag pipes though – they bring back bad childhood memories of our family Christmas parties!)
2 – I like green beer on St. Pattys Day – that had to start there, right!
3 – The scenery is beautiful from all the pictures I have seen. I used to watch a show called “Trading Spaces” on TLC, and they did an episode over there and the people lived in an old castle! It was incredible – it made me want to go visit…and buy a castle!!
1-green, rolling hills
I’ve never been there either, but I like:
1. The wonderful sayings; my current fave is “Don’t look back unless you can smile; don’t look ahead unless you can dream.”
2. The accent!
3. The gorgeous green landscape and rocky coast.
Meg Waite Clayton´s last blog post ..Words of Advice from Confucius- Austen- and Tuchman
1) Another cool destination I have yet to see — want to visit the pubs, the churches, and the seaside landscapes some day.
2) Lamb Stew. Mmmmmm.
3) Irish wit. It’s alive and well.